Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Midnight Never Ends by Thomas Amo #horror


Horror is my guilty pleasure. I love to watch scary movies and read stories that give me the creeps. My friend Thomas Amo recently released a book of short stories as an homage to one of our favorite television shows, Night Gallery. My mom wouldn't let me watch it, so I had to wait until I went to visit my dad. I would curl up on the couch with a big blanket to hide behind, and watch, wide-eyed, as Rod Serling captivated me with his storytelling. My thanks to Thomas for stopping by my blog to talk about Midnight Never Ends.



Finally, after two years, Thomas Amo is returning to his horror roots! Always a fan of great ghost stories, haunted houses, and terrifying tales. His latest, is not only all of the above, but a tribute to one of his biggest inspirations.

On April 7th, the author launched his latest. He gives us a peek into the dark corners of his imagination, while paying homage to one of the most prolific television writers of the twentieth century. And to a show that kept a young boy wide awake at night, long after the end credits rolled. I'm talking of course about, Rod Serling, and the Night Gallery.

The Night Gallery was an anthology series created from the mind of the man who had given us the Twilight Zone, ten years earlier. This time, the show would focus on the macabre, horror, and the occult, instead of the science fiction morality tales the Twilight Zone was so famous for. In 1969 a pilot for the eventual series came in the form of a movie of the week, based on two stories from Serling's only novel. "The Season to be Wary." Originally published in 1967, it provided the perfect backdrop for a concept that would allow viewers, director and creators to go in any direction with each story they wanted to, and not be locked into the typical weekly series, where cops always get the bad guy, the space ship crash lands on yet, another hostile alien planet, and those hillbillies in Beverly Hills, still get to relax next to the cement pond. 

After the pilot, the show was picked up and aired from 1970-1973 on NBC, Wednesday nights at 10pm as an hour show for the first two seasons. Then moved to Sunday nights at 10:30, reduced down to a thirty minute show. Often, Serling was considered only as the host of the show and nothing more. However, that is simply not true, as he wrote over one third of the episodes. Having come on board as the show's creator, he didn't want the responsibilities of being a producer, like with Twilight Zone, so he allowed that job to go to, Jack Laird. A decision he would very much regret. In spite of Serling's disappointments with the show, it literally became a showcase for some of the biggest names in the entertainment industry. Often considered campy at best, the show still delivered several gems based on many popular short stories of the day and adapted into original canvas paintings, created by artist, Tom Wright. 

For this author, part of the scare in the show was the paintings themselves. placed against Rod Serling's perfect presence and narrative flair, the Night Gallery wouldn't have had near the chill factor it carried without him. 

So, on April 7, 2014, Thomas Amo, takes you back to a place very much like the Night Gallery, where he not only pays tribute to a brilliant writer, but to a show that made being a kid being scared at night, fun.
Four twisted tales of horror from author, Thomas Amo, that pay tribute to master writer of the macabre, Rod Serling, and the gothic, little salon, where sinister artwork tell the stories, in a place known as, the Night Gallery. You're invited to join us as we display four new original canvases for you to observe and study, each with its own dark story to tell. We ask only that you do not touch the exhibited works. For very frequently, they touch back. RATED FOR ADULT HORROR 18+ 



HERE is the buy link on Amazon:


Thomas Amo
Author of "Forever ME"


Keep in touch with Thomas on:

4 comments:

  1. Hmm. My interest is definitely piqued by this addition to the gallery. ;)
    How have you been, my friend? I'm sorry it has been so long since we chatted. How are things? What's new? I'm between drafts on my latest, so I have been dutifully catching up these weeks with blog visits and networking with all of my pals who I miss so dearly when I'm writing. I hope things are cool with you and yours.
    I have seen Thomas' cover pop up over the 'net. I'll have to check into this one.
    Thanks for sharing.

    -Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jimmy!! I miss you! I've been crazy busy myself. Glad to hear you are still writing :D

      Delete